What is an Information Security Management System?
In an age driven by technology and where data has become a highly sought after and valuable asset, information security is becoming more and more important. A business must take steps to ensure that the information they collect from, use, and store on their clients, is secure and protected from unauthorized access.
An information security management system (ISMS) will outline and evidence an organization’s approach to information security. The system’s primary purpose is to manage the information security and data protection risks to your organization, as well as ensuring ongoing compliance with information security requirements.
A good ISMS will provide a structured and systematic approach to managing company information and information security.
ISO 27001: Information Security Management
ISO (International Organisation for Standardization) is an independent, non-governmental organization representing the National Standard Institutes of over 150 countries. They develop and publish international standards in response to the needs of the international market and global expert opinions.
ISO 27001 provides the requirements for an ISMS. Whilst this is a certifiable standard, certification is not compulsory and many businesses benefit from compliance to ISO standards without certification.
What are the Benefits of an Information Security Management System?
The main benefit of adopting and implementing an ISMS in accordance with ISO 27001 is protecting your information and securing company data.
In addition, compliance, and certification to ISO 27001 will:
- Demonstrate to customers and business partners that your organization is taking steps to ensure that protected information does not fall into the wrong hands;
- Help to attract and retain new customers and business partners;
- Maintain information accuracy and ensure that modifications can only be made by authorized users;
- Support risk management within your organization;
- Ensure compliance with legal and contractual requirements; and,
- Ensure the security and reliability of your systems and management processes.
Implementing an Information Security Management System
In order to implement an ISMS in accordance with ISO 27001, an organization must:
- Carry out a detailed risk assessment of the business and identify any vulnerabilities;
- Implement a management system to control how information is stored and used;
- Maintain an effective information security policy;
- Provide effective information security training to staff;
- Control access to the system and monitor the system and user activities; and,
- Ensure that systems are kept up to date and protected with the latest security.
Our partners at Mango Live published a comprehensive guide (accessible here) to the ISO 27001 which takes you through the steps you need to take to achieve certification in great detail (97 pages of detail!).
Compliance Management Experts
QSM Group specialise in QHSE and compliance consulting services. Our consultants are experienced in supporting organisations with the adoption of ISO 27001 compliance and 100% of our clients have achieved certification to their chosen ISO Standards on their first attempt.
Not only do we assist with compliance to and certification to various ISO standards, time and time again we find ourselves helping new clients to realise unforeseen value in their management systems and ISO compliance initiatives.
Contact us today to discuss your information security needs.